About the Mohave Museum of History & Arts
Established in August 1961 by the Daughters of the Pioneers, and operated by the Mohave Pioneers Historical Society, an archive room at the Mohave County Chamber of Commerce was the cornerstone for the Mohave Museum of History and Arts. In 1967, using bricks salvaged from the demolition of buildings at the Truxton Canyon Training school built in 1903, the first museum building was erected and inaugurated on April 27, 1968.
With the construction of additions, it was expanded in 1979. Several years later the chamber of commerce building was razed to provide an expanded parking area for the museum. The museums expansive research library was added in 2005.
Internationally acclaimed artist Roy Purcell was the museums first director. His murals still adorn walls and several exhibits that he created including dioramas that chronicle the evolution of Mohave County, the Hualapai room and the Mohave History room remain in place.
Exterior exhibits including a mining display added in 2008, and a 1923 wooden railroad caboose have enhanced the museums diversity. A ranching exhibit added in 2010 added depth and context to the story of Mohave County.
The museum also houses an art gallery, a large gift shop and book store, display of Native American arts and crafts, and a special exhibit with artifacts that chronicle the career of film star Andy Devine whose father once owned the Hotel Beale. The Hualapai room contains a full-size wickiup brush shelter, pottery, baskets, and other crafts.