About the Masonic Temple
In 1912, a notice was published in the Mohave County Miner requesting, quote, “All men who have traveled from West to East and Back” should meet in front of the Arizona Central Bank at the corner of 4th and Beale Road. The Masons that responded to the invitation attended a meeting in the office of Dr. Henry Butcher. They then resolved to travel monthly by train to attend the Masonic Lodge in Needles.
The following year a petition was submitted to the Grand Lodge of Arizona for a Dispensation. It was granted in 1914. In 1915, a Charter was issued, and Kingman Lodge Number 22 of Free and Accepted Masons of Arizona was established. Until construction of this temple, constructed by members of the Lodge, some of whom had worked on the Hoover Dam project, meetings were held in the Odd Fellows Hall at the corner of Fifth and Beale Streets.
It was completed in 1939. The cornerstone reads A.L. or Anno Lucis meaning “Year of
Light.” 5939 derived from ancient Masonic form by adding 4000 to the year. The Temple building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.