About the Lovin Building
On a Sunday afternoon in 1906 a fire swept along Front Street west of the Hotel Beale. It destroyed most of the businesses including the Lovin Building. Henry Lovin rebuilt and on October 2, 1906, the Palace Saloon opened in the new Lovin Building. It was promoted as the only “fireproof building in the county.” A.P. Jacobs, the proprietor of the saloon, advertised that the finest selection of wines, beers, and cigars was available.
Henry Lovin operated numerous businesses in the area including a freighting company, an ice plant and brewery, ranches, mines, and in partnership with John Withers established a large mercantile and grocery store in Kingman with branches in Oatman and other communities. He also served as Mohave County Sheriff, as well as on the state constitutional committee and as a State Senator.