Fire Station 210 N. 5th Street

This stop on the Discover Kingman walking tour is sponsored by The Kowalske Family. David, Donna, Mark & Wendy

Learn More | Audio Narration

by Jim Hinckley

About the Fire Station

Kingman, as with many western frontier towns, was plagued by devastating fires in the closing years of the 19th century, and the first years of the 20th century. In light of these tragedies, it is surprising that a fire department was not organized until after WWI. 

At a public meeting held September 22, 1921, the Mohave County Board of Supervisors approved a plan to organize a fire department. Twenty-five men were elected for the volunteer fire department, the first meeting was held on October 6, 1921, and the Kingman Fire District was established. The annual operational budget was set at $10,000. 

That same month eleven fire hydrants were purchased, and the Kingman Water Company began installing water mains. Tests were conducted to meet the Fire Underwriters Association standards.  

In January of 1922 the board of supervisors gave permission for the Kingman Volunteer Fire Department to enter a contract for lease with intent to purchase a fire engine from American La France Fire Engine Company. The total cost would be $14,246.00. The city still owns this fire truck. 

The board of supervisors also approved the solicitation of bids to construct a fire house. Gruninger & Son was given the contract and in June construction commenced on the fire station on Fifth Street next to the Odd Fellows Hall. It was designed to also accommodate the American Legion. It would remain in service until construction of a new station in 1962. 

The new fire truck was delivered in May 1922. With its arrival the fire department was divided into a chemical company and a hose, hook, and ladder company. To demonstrate the power and advantages of the new truck a public demonstration was made on June 22 when a stream of water was pumped onto the courthouse roof. The Kingman Fire Department continued to operate as a volunteer fire department until 1968. 

Adventure Starts Here

Check out our map for the first 12 destinations on our tours.