About El Palacio
The building on the corner of Fourth Street and Andy Devine Avenue (South Front Street) was a drug store until the 1990s. It was remodeled as the 4th Avenue Social Club, and then in 1995 as the Kingman El Palacio.
In 1883, H.H. Watkins established his first drug store in Kingman. In 1888 he and his brother F.F. Watkins established the Pioneer Drug Store in this building. In 1920 the store was sold to the Kingman Drug Company. The building was remodeled to include a soda fountain.
This was the first building built in what was known as the Luthy Block. It was originally an adobe building with a decorative parapet, shaded front, and recessed doorway. After a fire in June 1907 gutted the block, it was rebuilt using brick and adobe. The current façade dates to a 1935 façade remodel.