About the Depot
An article published in October 1883 noted that the Atlantic & Pacific Railroad was about to begin construction of a large warehouse, loading platform and depot in Kingman. Work was delayed on the project, but the first depot was built in 1885.
During the first days of May 1900 the depot, several carloads of coal, and the freight house burned. In July it was announced that the railroad had plans for the construction of a new depot built of locally quarried stone. The need for expediency led to it being built as a wood framed structure.
In fall 1906 the depot again burned. On November 4, 1906, the railroad announced that construction of a new depot and freight depot built of reinforced concreted with concrete floors would commence with the week. This is the current depot.
In August 1904 area mines began donating ore samples for construction of a monument at the depot. At some point around 1940, the monument was removed. In 2016, C. Russell and local volunteers rebuilt the monument using rock from the demolished 1940s Bells Motel and local mineral specimens. A time capsule was added.