About Central Commercial
In 1900 Henry Lovin and John Withers established Lovin & Withers Mercantile. With its main store in Kingman, and smaller stores in Oatman and other mining towns, it was the largest retailer in northwestern Arizona.
In late 1916 they began construction on a new, large modern store they named Central Commercial. The grand opening in August 1917 was a gala celebration with entertainment and music provided by the “Los Angeles Colored Orchestra.” Several expansions on Beale Street, and inclusion of the Powers Building on the corner of Fourth and Beale Streets built to house Citizens Bank in 1911, resulted in its current appearance.
In 1978 the complex was acquired by Babbitts and the Facades were extensively remodeled. After its acquisition by the Ott family, the façade was restored to an original appearance, and the building was divided into various store fronts.