About the Canada Mart
Initially this was the site of Kingman Steam Laundry that opened in 1903. Tommy T Hafley established a service station here on Route 66 in the mid-1950s. E.J. “Charlie” McCarthy, mayor in Kingman from 1956 to 1962, purchased the property in 1957, and added a gift shop at the end that was managed by his wife Dollie.
Shortly afterwards a garage was added to the rear of the gift shop that was transformed into offices for an automotive dealership. McCarthy sold Studebakers, International Harvester trucks, Rambler’s, and Mercedes. After its sale it became a Volkswagen dealership.
Ray Meins Sr. acquired the Dairy Queen franchise in 1952. When the building on the corner of Beale Street and Grandview Avenue was razed in 1962 during construction of Rodeway Inn, now Arizona Inn, he leased property from McCarthy and built a new Dairy Queen, now Bangkok Thai Cuisine.