About the Bonneli House
After paying $40 for property on the corner of Fourth and Spring Street, now site of the city complex, George A. Bonelli built his first house in the closing weeks of 1894. It was a gift for his new bride, Effie Ellen Tarr, who he married on January 1, 1895.
After that house burned in January 1915, Bonelli designed a house that would be fireproof. It was also to be cool in summer and warm in winter. The exterior walls were built of locally quarried stone. The interior walls were coated with a fire-resistant mixture of plaster and lime.
The cupola acts as a chimney drawing cool air from the cellar through an innovative venting system to facilitate air flow. A system to heat the home included a coal burning stove linked to the water heater in the kitchen that is still in place.